Granary – Eastern Gate Building (“Körnerkasten” – “Östliches Lagertor”)
The massive building was erected in the 2nd half of the 4th century in the same period as the Burgus. It replaced the former eastern camp gate (Porta Principalis Dextra). It is commonly characterized as a box-shaped gate, although it is not clear whether in the late Roman period it still served as a gate or simply as a protective edifice. Up to the roof the walls are of late Roman origin with later repairs. The narrow gap windows go back to the construction time, the larger ones as well as the door on the left side are of recent origin. The carefully rounded edges are characteristic style-elements. On the front- wall towards the camp a massive transverse arch can be seen, the inner arch of the former eastern gate. Only the upper part is visible because of two meters of earth filling.
The exceptionally good state of preservation is due to the fact that for centuries it was used as a granary (“Körnerkasten”) and therefore was well maintained and continuously protected by a roof. For a long time, the building was considered to be medieval according to the date 1581 engraved in the small door arch, in fact this was the year this door was built as an entrance to a new basement.
The granary is one of the largest Roman buildings in Austria and the only example of a box- shaped gate.